Spring is in full swing, giving many people the itch to get back on their bikes.
If you’re looking to scratch that itch, it’s time for your family to dust off your bikes, pump up your tires, and dig out your helmets because Bike to School Week (B2SW) is happening May 30 – June 3, 2022!
Here is a collection of some of our favourite cycling resources to help you and your kid(s) get your wheel on!
Get the Gear
- Safety Equipment for Riding covers how to protect your head, be heard, and be seen while riding
- How to Choose the Right Size and Type of Helmet for your Child helps you choose the right helmet for cycling
- Getting a Child their Own Bike gives tips on where to find a bike and how to choose the right one
- Carrying your Kid(s) on your Bike introduces options like cargo bikes, child seats, trailers, and more
Develop the Skills
- How to Teach your Kid to Ride a Bike gives tips on how to work on balance and pedalling skills
- Teaching Safe Cycling covers basic riding skills, such as signalling, positioning, and traffic signs
- What to Teach your Children about Bike Safety identifies common causes of cycling injuries and gives guidance on how to reduce risks
- 5 Fun Activities that can Help Build your Child’s Bike-Riding Skills shares ideas like obstacle courses, challenges, and brake drills
Make it Fun
- Route Planning helps families to plan kid-friendly routes to get to fun destinations, like the park, an ice cream shop, or to a friend’s house
- Tune-up that Bike! provides easy steps to engage kids in checking their bike and learning to make simple repairs
- DIY Bike Blender shows a fun way to transform a bicycle so it can serve multiple purposes – pedal for yummy smoothies!
Cycling leads to healthier lifestyles, improved school performance, and greater confidence for kids. It also helps to reduce traffic congestion, air pollution, and harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition to the many benefits, biking with family or friends is super fun!
Where will your bike take you? Share your journey on social media using the hashtags #BiketoSchoolWeek, #B2SW, and #JourneyOutside.
Please follow provincial/regional COVID-19 public health guidelines when organizing and/or participating in Bike to School Week.
Sign-up for OAST News