School Travel Planning Toolkit
The STP Toolkit contains everything you need to implement School Travel Planning in your community.
The Toolkit consists of two comprehensive Guides, plus their associated tools:
You can access the associated tools in three ways:
- The tools are available below, organized in order of recommended use throughout each of the six phases of STP. Click on an individual Phase box to see the tool contents and then click on the highlighted links.
- Each tool is named in bold and underlined throughout the two Guides. Click on those links.
- A summary of the tools is provided at the end of Section 2 in the Guide for Facilitators. Click on those links.
Phase 1: Set-up the project
Getting STP started involves appointing a Facilitator, identifying the schools and stakeholders to participate, and establishing STP committees to support and oversee the process.
Phase 1a: Set-up at regional level
Guide for Regional Stakeholders
The Guide for Regional Stakeholders provides information to help regional and/or municipal stakeholders to establish and support a School Travel Planning program.
Establishing Regional STP Committee:
- Overview of School Travel Planning
- Regional STP Committee Member Statement of Support
- Regional STP Committee Terms of Reference
Hiring STP Facilitator(s):
Building support for Active School Travel:
- Making the Case for Active School Travel: Fact Sheet and Reference List
- Sample Active School Travel Charters:
Phase 1b: Set-up at school level
Guide for Facilitators
The Guide for Facilitators provides a comprehensive, step-by-step guide for Facilitators to take schools through the School Travel Planning process.
Briefing documents for school Principals:
- Overview of School Travel Planning
- STP Introduction for Principals
- Sample School Travel Plans:
Securing school agreement to participate:
- School Agreement
- Risk Management and Active School Travel
- Sample Ethics Application
- School Travel Plan Template
Establishing a School STP Committee:
Communicating to the school community:
Phase 2: Assess conditions
Securing School Board Ethics Approval for STP data collection:
Conducting a student travel survey:
Conducting a family travel behaviour survey:
Assessing the built environment and traffic:
- Traffic Observation Instructions and Form
- Traffic Observation Sample Report
- Walkabout Instructions and Checklist
- Sample Walkabout Report 1
- Sample Walkabout Report 2
- Bikeabout Instructions and Checklist
Developing a vision and targets for the school:
Sharing results with school community:
Phase 3: Develop Action Plan
Action Plan Inspiration Guide
The Action Plan Inspiration Guide provides examples and case studies to help the School STP Committee to develop ideas for what to include in the Action Plan for their school. The web page can also help identify a range of action items from across the 5 E’s (education, encouragement, engineering, enforcement and evaluation).
Documenting the Action Plan and STP process:
Phase 4: Implement Action Plan
The fourth phase of STP is all about making the Action Plan happen! This requires ongoing communication with the school community and STP committees and requires updating the Action Plan at regular intervals to track progress.
Communicating the School Travel Plan:
Updating the School Travel Plan:
Phase 5: Evaluate progress
Conducting a follow-up school travel survey:
Conducting a follow-up family travel behaviour survey:
Phase 6: Keep it going
The sixth phase involves transitioning the STP Committees to continue working on STP once the Facilitator reduces their involvement. The STP Committee will keep the STP process going through Phases 3 to 6 on a cyclical basis to implement the Action Plan, reassess conditions, and update the Action Plan.
Recognizing achievements and celebrating success: