The 2018 Ontario Active School Travel Summit will be held on Monday, 1 October 2018 from 8am – 4:30pm at the Ramada Plaza Hotel in Toronto. Co-hosted by Green Communities Canada (GCC) and the Ontario Active School Travel Council, the Summit will bring together a diverse group of stakeholders involved in active school travel to share knowledge and celebrate our collective work.
Who will be there?
The Summit will be attended by 150 delegates from across Ontario and beyond, including representatives of:
- Public health
- Municipal transportation and planning
- School Boards
- Student transportation consortia
- School communities
- Government of Ontario ministries and agencies
- Provincial organizations with a vested interest in safe, healthy and connected communities.
Key themes will be:
- Creating a culture of active school travel
- Coordinated data collection, building the evidence base
- Working in partnership across multiple sectors
- Meaningful parent engagement
- Political and policy support
- School siting and site design
- Sustainable programming and funding
- Keynote speaker Seth LaJeunesse, Associate Director at the U.S National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Presentation by Russell Brownlee, President and Transportation Safety Engineer at True North Safety Group
- Address by the Minister of Education (tbc)
- Panel discussion featuring leaders from School Boards and Student Transportation Consortia
- Innovation and inspiration workshop
A travel subsidy is available for anyone travelling longer distances to Toronto.
For information on accommodation at the venue site click here.
For information on getting to and from the venue click here.
For more information please contact us.